Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Bad First Date

Inspired by Mark Cox’s “Like a Simile”

Sat down like bones are made of glass
looked like a child at the dentist’s office
glanced around the room like watching a sex scene

He entered the coffeehouse like an undiscovered tomb
and said hello like he was meeting my mother.

We drank coffee like survivors
and talked like ex-lovers
legs touched under the table like crossed wires
he removed his like a band-aid

Searched for words like gold
spent them all quickly like a child's allowance
He played with his phone like a ball of yarn
while I looked in my coffee like a fortune teller

We got up and left like at a bad movie
walked to our cars like criminals

Said goodbye like we were moving heavy furniture
then I sat in my car like a marathon runner
in need of a breath and a second of rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats